Garage Door Types Explained
1. Up & Over Garage Doors – Canopy
Our superb range of Georgian panel style doors will look good on any house type, whether modern or traditional. All have deep, crisp panel profiles, which give them solid and sturdy characteristics combined with an elegant appearance. Choosing a garage door with windows not only offers an additional design element but also provides functionality by allowing you to make use of the daylight within your garage.
- Maximum drive through width ensured by there being no projection of the operating gear into the opening.
- Normally supplied with an integral steel frame for the most straightforward installation.
- Massive range of standard sizes, and also available made to measure.
- Doors manufactured from steel, timber, GRP and PVC, with a wide range of surface finishes and colours.
- Normally supplied for manual operation, but can easily have the convenience and security if electric operation and remote control added.
Ribbed door designs have a classical appearance and blend in with most homes. Their tough and sturdy precision engineered construction offers maximum durability and timeless kerb appeal. Our Wentwood and Sherwood designs offer the natural appearance of timber whilst retaining all the cost and maintenance advantages of a steel door. The foil-coating provides this by giving the rivet-free door leaf an ultra-fine textured surface with a realistic woodgrain appearance.
1a. Up and Over Garage Doors – Retractable
This type of retractable – sometimes called “tracked” – gear allows the garage door to open almost fully back into the garage. Side mounted tension springs power and balance the door as it moves on door arms, with spindles and rollers operating in horizontal tracks into the open position. Some loss of drive through width because of door arm intrusion can be overcome by using the alternative Retractable Plus gear, which moves the door arm brackets further up the frame.
- Normally supplied with integral steel frame for ease of installation.
- Extensive range of standard sizes and also made to measure.
- Doors are manufactured in steel, timber, GRP and PVC, with a wide range of surface finishes and colours.
- Normally manually operated, but ideal door action for the addition of electric operation and remote control.
2. Side Hinged Garage Doors
Probably the most basic type, and certainly has been around for many years. Black Country Doors has a range of steel side hinged doors:
- Manufactured from galvanized steel, and powder coat paint finished to clients choice of colour.
- Normally fitted to Black Country doors own unique 2 mm. galvanized steel rebated section cold rolled frame.
- Doors usually open out, and thus obstructions inside the garage, such as gas or electricity meters, or chimney breasts which prevent the use of up and over doors are no problem to this type of door.
- Available in either 2/3 x 1/3 split or 50 x 50 split, and as matching access doors
- All door and frame units are made to individual site details.
- A choice of 6 attractive panel styles is available.
3. Roller Doors
This type of door opens vertically, and coils around a motorised barrel or tube into the open position. Black Country Doors Electro glide is a double skinned insulated lath door fitted with a horizontal rubber nosing and vertical brush strip to ensure an effective seal when closed.
- Doors are normally fitted behind brickwork reveals to thus maximise both opening width and height
- No outward swing as door opens, so you can park right up to the door – especially useful if you have a short driveway. Ideal for arched openings
- All doors are made to measure to suit your opening
- Wide choice of surface finishes and colours
- Motorised and with the very latest rolling code remote control technology for convenience and peace of mind.
4. Sectional Garage Doors
Generally considered to be the very best type of garage door. The door opens vertically, then curves through 90 to follow horizontal tracks into the garage. Absolutely ideal for electric operation which serves to enhance the doors already smooth, easy opening and closing cycle.
- Doors are usually fitted behind brickwork reveals to thus maximise both drive through width and height
- No outward swing as door opens, so you can park right up to the door – useful if you have a short driveway. Ideal for arched openings.
- Wide range of standard sizes, and made to measure too.
- Wide selection of materials, surface finishes and panel styles to choose from.
- Available as a single skin construction, but best as a double skinned and insulated panel. This latter construction highlights and augments the excellent seal achieved when the door is in the fully closed position.
- Available manually operated, but absolutely ideal for electric operation with remote control highlighting the already impressively smooth controlled door action.
Steel and Timber Side-Hinged Doors
- Doors are normally supplied with Black Country doors own rebated section steel frame, but can be supplied ready to fit within a timber sub-frame.
- Flashing to cover exposed brickwork or unsightly gaps can be supplied manufactured from galvanized steel, and powder coat paint finished to match frame.
- Access doors, whether separate, or part of the garage door, can be right hand oe left hand, or in some cases centre opening.
Mortice locks with lever handles; mortice dead locks, extra security bolts, letters plates, even cat flaps are available.
- Choice of leading styles where windows are incorporated.
- Choice of powder coat paint finish.
- Doors are normally arranged to open out, but opening into the garage is an option.
- Door and frame unit are normally fitted between brickwork, but can easily be fitted to the outside face to maximise drive through width and height.
Steel Side Hinged Doors
Black Country Doors’ traditional side-hinged doors combine robust and reliable performance with simple personal access. These doors are fitted with a lever handle inside and out, providing easy access at all times. For added security, the option of an outside knob is available. Side hinged doors come with equal sized leaves, with the right hand leaf leading as standard. 1/3 or 2/3 leaf configurations and/or left hand leading doors are available on request.
Timber Side Hinged Doors
The Black Country Door range of side-hinged timber doors combines quality craftsmanship and attractive, traditional appeal. As standard, they come with a lever handle set. A knob handle for added security is optionally available. Side hinged doors come with equal sized leaves, with the right hand leaf leading as standard, left hand leaf leading is optional. Alternatively, all side hinged doors are available on a one/third/two third configuration, as shown in the Vertical Cedar design.
All our leading brands at competitive prices